instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

14/10/2015

Back to Running - After Injury Schedule

So.... I ran. Outside. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed my run/sunset post. It was the second time I ran outside since the misery started.
I followed the above schedule for 10 weeks. I ran indoors on the treadmill at a pace of 7km/h. I did the cross trainer before I ran. But I only did 5 minutes on the cross trainer and also often skipped it, because I hate it. After than I would run, do some more strengthening and balance exercises and go home and ice my shins. As well as some visit to the physiotherapist.

I had my ups and downs. Sometimes I went ran and it hurt. Sometimes my back would be sore. Other times I wouldn't have any problems at all. The schedule I posted is the exact same schedule I used.
So when week 10 came around, and it was time to ran a total of 30 minutes, I was quite curious/anxious to see how it would go. This was on a Saturday.

And... Well, not bad. Not bad at all. Sure my knees and back where complaining, but my shins... Well nothing I couldn't handle. After I went home and iced my shins I even went to Haarlem to shop a little, but even walking around there didn't cause any problems on my shin. :]

Hurray!  Right?
Nah. On Monday I ran outdoors for 15 minutes. And boy, I overdid it. I ran at around 4:30"/km, which if you calculate it back to the 7km/h is way to fast! I kept that pace for 2 minutes. After that, I tried to slow down, but I just couldn't find a pace I could stick too. I felt tired, and above all, my shins were on fire. My calfs were getting tight.
Such a bummer. I was sore and in slight pain in my shins for 1,5 day and then it was normal/fine again.

Next Saturday I had to do the last one of the week, 1x15 and 1x10 on the treadmill. I was going nowhere I felt, and after 12 minutes I called it a day.

I discussed this with my physiotherapist and well, this really is a case of persistence now. I have to stay determined and take it every so slowly. I decided that running at 7km/h would be too slow for me, so I best get back to the running app I had used before. You know, run a couple of minutes, then walk and repeat up to 5K.

So I downloaded the app again, decided I could skip week 1 and 2 and went out. I mean, I can walk 30 minutes on the treadmill, so I could skip the first weeks, right? This time I would run, at a faster pace, 1x1,5, walk, 1x2,5 walk, 1x2,5 walk and end with 1,5.

My reaction? Let's just say, tomorrow I will start at week 2 and hope for the best.

It is really a case of patience, persistence and dealing with disappointment.

My questions to you guys: how do you deal with sport injuries and disappointment in your sport?

Follow charlotte's frame with Bloglovin or Follow charlotte's frame with GFC

No comments:

Post a Comment