instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

11/09/2015

Running Injury Update

It's been a while since I updated you on my shin splints/MTSS or whatever you want to call it.

In short, I am slowly returning to running. It is however, in a very controlled manner. I do the cross-trainer for 5 minutes, then I run on the treadmill. I do this 3 times a week.

I started with running 3 x 2 minutes, then with 3x3, 4x3, 3x4, 3x5, 2x7,5 and 2x10. And when I get back home, I have to ice my shins. I am doing the 2x10 this week.

I do feel some pain and annoying things in my shins, but overall, if I think about it... Before all this I ran 30/35 minutes each time, so now that I run 20minutes, I am already half way! When I thought about it like that, it was a huge motivator for me. I was kinda grumpy and "this is getting nowhere, it still hurts, etc.. etc." but I really shouldn't complain.


Another thing would be the shoes, I realized that the Nike Free 5.0 are great shoes, but they're not enough for me, something I realized when I was nearing the 2x7,5 minutes on the treadmill. So, I tried a couple of shoes. The Addidas boost, which had another annoying tread over the arch, and my pinky toe wanted to be next to the sole. So nope. And also two Nikes: the Pegasus zoom 32 and the Flyknit Lunar.

Both shoes felt nice, but whenever I ran on the Pegasus I felt that my feet wanted to drop down on the inside, (I'm sorry, can't explain it any better in English), and that meant I felt the sole again and again. You could argue that by feeling it, I would need support, but considering my experiences with Asics "pronation" shoes I am a bit sceptic.

So then the Flyknit Lunar. A soft and very light shoe. I think it's lighter than the Nike Free's. I decided to go with this model. And because I will not be doing a acute change of shoes anymore, it was decided that I would run on the new ones, back on the old 2x, new ones 2 times, old one 1x and so on...

However, when I ran last week on the Nike free's it actually hurt! I couldn't imagine how I managed to run on them for so long. Which is really because I ran on the flyknit lunar (which has more cushioning) and already gotten used to them. Instead of doing 2x10, I only did 6 minutes once. And going "cold turkey" on the new shoes instead of gradually changing.

So, let's just hope this shoe will work for me and that the pain will subside.

1 comment: