instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

17/10/2014

Running High - Amanda of The Lady Okie


For those who don't know you, could you give a short introduction of yourself and your blog?
My name is Amanda, also known as the Lady Okie. I started my blog in 2010 as a creative outlet for my writing. I am a professional editor, and one day after work I decided I wanted to have a place where I could write my own stuff rather than edit the work of others. I guess you could label my blog as "lifestyle." I write mostly about daily life happenings... always with a humorous twist, because funny things seem to just happen to me. I also blog about running, reading, marriage, and my crazy (in a good way) family.


When did you start running?
In April 2010, I started training for a half marathon. I ran my first half marathon in October 2010 and have since run 7 half marathons and 2 full marathons.


Why do you like running with your family so much?
Over the past four years, I've run some type of race with every member of my family except my sister. It's so fun to be able to share the experience of race day with the people who mean the most to me. My dad and I trained together for our first full marathon (April 2013), and it was fun to be able to talk about training and share race stories together.


You mentioned that 3 times a week is enough to train for races. Why do you think so many people think they need to run more?
I feel like a lot of the time, people overdo their training by running 5 or 6 days a week. They feel guilty when they skip a day, and running kind of takes over their life. For me to keep running fun, I decided that 3 days a week is enough. That usually equals twice during the week and a long run on the weekend. I trained for 2 marathons this way, and it was great! I didn't get injured, and I didn't feel like running was controlling my schedule.


Of all the races you have done, what was the best one?

Oh gosh. The best? I really love running the Oklahoma City Marathon. The whole city gets into it, and there is a ton of crowd support. Plus, this is a memorial race in honor of the 168 people who died in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, so it's always emotional. There are 168 seconds of silence at the start of the race, and there are banners hanging from light poles along the route with the names of the victims.


What is your current goal?
I actually don't have one currently. I would love to be able to train for and run a sub 1:50 half marathon, but it's not really a goal right now because I don't have a goal race in mind or anything. Maybe I should get on that.


What has changed the most about running—whether it's the gear, the organization, the popularity, etc.—since you started?
I'd say that in the last 4.5 years I've been running, more people are doing it. That could just be my imagination because I'm aware of it more now, but it seems like more people are doing 5ks and training for half marathons. It's fun! I love it when a new person says they love running.





I saw you know The Oatmeal, do you have any other resources of fun comics/vlogs/pictures/etc on running?Hmm.. really the Oatmeal is the best one I've seen. There's also some funny graphics I've found on Pinterest. One of my favorites is one of those Ryan Gosling "hey girl" pictures. It says "hey girl, don't worry. I plugged in your Garmin." It's so true! I've forgotten to plug in my Garmin, and it died half a mile into a half marathon. Oops.


Do you follow, I hate to call it a diet, but do you have certain things you eat or do not eat when training?
Ha! The short answer is no. I try not to eat Mexican the day before a run, but that's just because I've had serious bathroom emergencies. If I really wanted to be hard core and train to be a faster runner, I would be more strict; but again, running is a hobby, and it doesn't control my life, so I basically still just eat what I want. It all evens out, I think. At least that's what I tell myself :)


Do you have a favourite pair of shoes or a clothing item you always wear when running?
I have a favorite pair of socks! Nike Dri-fit anti-blister socks. They are the best! The inner lining has two layers, and seriously I've never gotten blisters wearing them. Awesomeness.


Is there something running related that you'd like to buy (if money isn't an issue)?
I'd love to buy something from Luluemon just because I could. I've heard their yoga pants are the most comfortable thing ever.


Any tips for starters?
Well, not to throw in a shameless plug, but I actually have a 7-part "How to Start Running" series that I published on my blog last year. It pretty much covers everything I could tell a new runner.I think the biggest tip is this: start slow. So many people say they hate running because they think running means going out and sprinting 8 miles. But if you've never run, you're going to feel like dying if you do that! Start with some walk/run combination and work your way up. I really think everyone would love running if they just gave it a shot.

Would you like to be interviewed next? You can sign up here!

You can find all the Running High's here.

3 comments:

  1. Hey it's me! Thanks for the feature :) I added a link to this in my Runners Tell All post next week so people can hop over and check it out. I'll let people know they can sign up to be interviewed too. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Amanda! So fun to see you here!
    I couldn't run five or six times a week even if I tried. I think three times a week is good too. Although I've been running only once a week since the summer. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete