instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

18/07/2014

Running High - Miho of Wander to Wonder


For those who don't know you, could you give a short introduction of yourself and your blog? 
My blog is a London-based, foodie lifestyle blog - I write about anything that takes my fancy, often to do with food (whether homemade or something from the London restaurant scene), little things from my day to day life and other snapshots that I like to document. I live with my husband of 10 months - I am Japanese (but brought up in the UK for the most part), my husband (who I refer to as E) is French, and we are enjoying life in the Big Smoke! (Link: wander to wonder)

When did you start running? 
E and I decided, on a whim, to try out the Couch to 5K programme around the end of January. Not at all a New Year's resolution - it was quite a random decision. Since then, to our great surprise, we've built up our fitness and grown to love running as part of our routine.


What's the most difficult run you've ever been on?
Probably one of the last runs from the Couch to 5K app - 25 minutes of running felt quite tough, even having built up to it so gradually.


When someone asks for a training tip, what do you tell them? 
It's a very personal thing, but for me, it has been very important and helpful to have a workout buddy. Now that I am in the habit and feeling more comfortable as a runner, I don't have the same problem, but to begin with I needed E to pull me out of bed in the morning to go for those early morning runs! You don't necessarily even need to run with someone, if you have a friend or family member who will set goals with you and keep you motivated, I think it makes a huge difference.


What's your goal for this year?
I've actually signed up for my first ever race - a 10K, with one of my girlfriends! I am excited and also nervous about it.


How long do you think you'll stay running (age wise)?
Gosh, I hope for a very long time - I think the beauty of running is that a) you can do it pretty much anywhere, and b) you can tailor it to your needs, fitness level, age, etc. I hope I will carry on for as long as my body lets me.

Do you use any running gadgets? If so, what's your favourite?
I use the Nike plus app on my iphone, which is fantastic. I attach it to my arm in an armband I got from Amazon, and it does the trick. That and my earphones, and I'm set.


What's your favourite post-race indulgence?
Too many to choose from! I think I would have to say either dim sum, a kickass burger or ramen noodles.


What is the worst thing about running?
Getting started! Whether that's interpreted as getting started with running in general, or just getting your kit on and stepping out of the door. Once you've started pounding the pavement and you get into a rhythm, it's all ok - it's the beginning that hurts.


You talked about the Way of Gray workouts on your blog, could you tell us a little about it?
The Way of Gray workouts are great if you want a quick but intense workout at home, with no equipment at all (I use a yoga mat, but that's all). Her ebook includes a selection of Tabata-style workouts (HIIT), and I like to do them on some of the days that I don't run as a bit of strength-training. They take less than 30 minutes per workout, and definitely leaves you sweating!


Do you like running alone or together?
Although E and I set out together on our runs, we are both in our own "zones" while running. I do like to run together though as seeing him run motivates me to carry on and also to try and run faster.


Any tips for starters?
I would highly recommend the 5K Runner app - it eases you into it so gently that you'll be running before you know it. Just give it a go! You don't have to like it, but you never know if you don't try.

Would you like to be interviewed next? You can sign up here!
You can find all the Running High's here.

7 comments:

  1. I love Miho and her foodie blog and good to hear she
    runs c:
    I think it's more motivating when someone actually
    runs with you! I wish her good luck with the 10k
    run! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.lookforpinky.wordpress.com18 July 2014 at 21:42

    I've just started running again from a 5 months hiatus - it's so tough even though I know I'll be hooked soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started with the Couch to 5K program too (and just realized I forgot to mention it in the interview!).

    I've always ran on my own but I can understand how motivating (and nice) it must be to run with someone too.
    Great interview! I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like it! :D Feel free to spread the word! ;]


    (Would you like me to add it to your interview?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no, it's all right, but thank you for asking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couch to 5k is great, that's what got me running too! Good on you for signing up for a race, I still don't feel fit enough for one haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally agree with you about having a running partner. in the beginning it helped me lots that i was running with my husband. but as it became a routine for me i was able to run alone. great q & a!

    ReplyDelete