instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

20/06/2014

Running High - Charlotte of The Midnight Blog

 

For those who don't know you, could you give a short introduction of yourself and your blog?
Hello! I'm Charlotte, an almost-thirty half-French half-English girl. I was born in France and lived there until last year, when I ditched baguettes for fish and chips and moved to England with my boyfriend. I am a translator (translating YA books from English to French). I love running, baking, cooking, graphic designing, taking photos, editing videos, playing the guitar, singing and (obviously) blogging. On my blog, I share snippets of my life, things I found and love, recipes, running stories, tips on clean living and much more!



When did you start running?
I started running in july 2013 (ten months ago!) and never stopped since.


What’s the circuit training (Jilian training) you talked about your blog?
I run three times a week but also cross train on the side (two to three times a week). I call these workouts "Jillian trainings" on my blog because I started with Jillian Michaels DVDs and they are, to this day, my favourite workout videos! They are all about cardio, strength, abs and working on muscles you didn't even know you had. I love circuit training because it's different and it completes my running schedule perfectly. It makes me feel stronger, fitter and I can really feel the benefits of cross training when I'm running. I also like to do some yoga and pilates to work on my flexibility and to overall feel better and more balanced. Plus, circuit training is perfect when I don't want to go out for a run under the rain!


How do you stay motivated for circuit training and fitness?
There are times when I'd rather eat cookies than do an hour of circuit training but, if I'm honest, I'm always pretty excited to cross train (for all the reasons mentioned above). Before being a translator, I used to work in the theater, which means I used to be on my feet and active way more than I am now. Now that I am a translator, I spend my days in front of a computer with my brain overheating all the time. So, by the end of the day, I really need to blow off some steam and unwind. Even if running does help, it's just not the same as feeling your abs burn or doing a hundred jumping jacks! Also, I never do the same workout twice the same week and alternate different techniques and videos so that I don't get bored.


Do you remember your first ever race? How old were you, and how did you fare?
I've only ever been to two races since I started running last year. The first one was the Bupa Great South Run 5K in Portsmouth, which was last october. I was 28 then. I had trained for months to (at last) be able to run 5K without feeling like I was going to die... and I did it! I was really excited and anxious but it all went really well. The weather was horrible, though. It rained cats and dogs and there were gusts of wind like I've never seen before. It was a tough race for everyone, even the elite runners, and I was really happy to have done it in the end. Plus, I loved the atmosphere and meeting other runners.


How do you feel the day of the big race? Do you have any (superstitious) rituals?
On the day of the race, I feel both nervous and exhilarated. Funnily enough, what stresses me out the most is getting to the start line on time. After that, it's all about finishing in one piece. I don't have any superstitious rituals though (as of yet!).


And after the race?
I've only ran two races and both were a "first" (first 5K and first 10K), but I felt awesome afterwards. Tired, sure, but really proud and happy and ready for more.


What's the first thing you do or want to do after a race?
EAT! No, just kidding. I stretch, try to get/stay warm, enjoy and relax and soak up the atmosphere. And then eat. :)




What motivates you to carry on during a race/run when you begin to feel tired?
I try to focus on why I'm doing this and where I've come from and any kind of positive thought I have the strength to muster (while puffing and swearing internally and wondering why I'm here). I look at other runners and think about how brave everyone is, and how I can do it too. Even if I sometimes doubt it, I know I will always get there in the end. Running is hard, but it's such a great personal challenge! I've learnt a lot about myself since I started running.


Do you have any run profiles? Like runkeeper or Nike+.
I am on Runtastic and Runkeeper.


What kind of runs do you have planned for this year?
I intend to keep on running like I do, two to four times a week, and do a few more races too. I signed up to a Race for Life 10K in july and I'm thinking about doing the Bupa Great South Run again this year but, this time the 10miles race (argh!). And that's all I have planned for now, but I would like to do a few more, since races are really fun and a nice goal to work towards.


What would you like to achieve this year? (A new PR, more miles etc)
I would like to: increase my weekly distance - build endurance and strength - run 5K under 30 minutes - run 10K under 60 minutes - do as many Parkruns as I can - get fitter - keep on having fun and enjoying it without putting pressure on myself!


How many times do you run per week and how many miles?
I usually run three times a week and (right now) between 15k and 20K (9-12mi) per week. Now that I know I can run 10K, I think I will start building up towards longer runs, at least from time to time.


Any tips for starters?
I wrote a whole post last year where I shared some tips for people who want to start running, based on my own (little) experience. The main thing is: believe in yourself! I know how cheesy it sounds, but it's true and you can do it. Everybody can. I thought I would never be a runner. At the beggining, I couldn't run for more than one minute. And now, I can now run 10K! Also, be clear on why you want to run, be patient (don't start too fast!), make a plan (it really helps!) and why not sign up for a race as an extra motivation-boost? And never forget that running should be fun. Hard, but fun.


Would you like to be interviewed next? You can sign up here!
You can find all the Running High's here.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me! It was fun to answer all these questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for joining! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great series and fun to write! I remember when Charlotte started her running journey. I was cheering her on. I don't know why I get so excited meeting other runners and seeing people get hooked to it like I did. So happy to see her come this far.

    Can you refresh my memory and let me know what I was suppose to write for you? I just need some down time to write it. I've been on the go, go, go while I've been on vacation. So when I start work, next week, I'll just want to go home and rest, and then I should have some down time for writing. It's harder for me to write things that I don't naturally plan on writing about- if that makes any sense? -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess! Glad you like it!

    Well, I come up with around 12-ish questions that are tailored for you. E.g. I would ask you about your marathons. Or you have anything else you liked to talk about you can let me know and I'll incoperate it into the questions. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Jess, you're too sweet! :) Thank you for cheering me on since the beginning! You are an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can answer the questions you have; hopefully! Just email me the questions, but let me know you emailed me because I really forget to check my blog email account sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica! I just emailed you! :] Let me know if you've got it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, the first thing I want to do after a race is eat! haha. Seriously. Well, that and lie down :) Fun series!

    ReplyDelete