instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

18/04/2014

Running High - Jane of Winding Ridge Lane

On running, always with yoo & OtherMix

Hi everyone! Without further ado, here is number one of the Running High series. Don't know what's it about? You can read it here and join as well!


Hello OtherMix readers. My name is Jane and I blog over at Winding Ridge Lane where I share musings and laughter from the perspective of my family as we settle roots in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. I'm excited to be here today to talk about running. I'm in no way a professional runner or someone who trains for races, but I thought I could share some thoughts on what running means to an ordinary person like me and why i have incorporated it in my life.



Q: When did you start running?
A:
I have always ran sporadically in my life. I was in my high school track & field team and ran sprint races (100, 200 and 400 meters), but it was never a passion. In fact, I don't think I ever enjoyed it. I picked up running again 2 years ago but after 2 intense weeks I abruptly stopped. In early March of this year I began running again and have been doing so for about 3 weeks now.



Q: Do you have any stats? Like a personal record or your fastest/best run ever?
A.
This may sound really funny but back in high school I used to be a terrible distance runner and used to finish my mile runs in 16 minutes. When I started running 2 years ago I was still horrible and running for 5 minutes straight was torturous. Now though I am able to run a mile in a little less than 12 minutes and can run for 30 minutes straight. I used to think that my random exercise habits were such a waste, but I think my previous running and other cardio exercises I have done have really strengthened my core, which ultimately is giving me the best runs of my life now.


Q: What makes you run?
A:
I feel a little nervous answering this question because again, I don't run to train for races. I admire those who do, but I'm just not one of those people. I hope I don't sound shallow but to be perfectly honest, in high school I ran because it was the only sport offered during the spring season that seemed doable {I didn't have hand-eye coordination for tennis}.

2 years ago I started running because I wanted to lose weight. I had gained about 20 pounds from 2006 to 2012 and after years of hating my body image and being frustrated at not being able to fit into my clothes and not knowing what clothes to buy I finally decided to run. But after a bad combination of excessive running and an intense diet, I burned out in 2 weeks. I wanted a fast fix to weight loss and in a very unhealthy way I lost 13 pounds, but had gained it all back within a few months.

I picked up again running in March because I wanted to be serious about losing weight and after going through different cardio exercises I felt that running was just the better option. And with all things in my life right now I have learned to be patient and looked at running differently. I started again with the same purpose - to lose weight - but now I am seeing other benefits like getting good posture, more energy and the ability to focus better.

always with yoo on running, OtherMix, always with yoo


Q: What's the best part of running?
A:
The sweat! It sounds gross but the feeling I get after being drenched in sweat is one of the most exhilarating feelings I've ever felt.


Q: What's your favourite distance to run?
A:
I don't think I have a favorite distance, but right now I run a little over 3.5 miles, four to five times a week. That seems be challenging while not being so overwhelming.


Q: Have you ever done a race?
A:
Get ready to laugh at this one - I did do one race in my life. It was a 3K run in my local town... when I was in 6th grade! Somehow I came in third in my age group.


Q: Did you have any sport injuries?
A:
I have pulled muscles and use zenol patches to relieve the pain. It's something my mom always had in her medicine cabinet so I naturally just turn to them. My husband can't stand the smell but it works for me.


Q: What's your motivation to run?
A
: I think my motivation is the desire to be healthy. I live a more sedentary life now - before, my job was making me constantly move. And when I was younger I was able to get away with a lot of things but not so much now. I am learning that I have to add an exercise regiment in my life to keep my mind and heart healthy.


Q: What kind of things do you think about as you run?
A:
I concentrate on my breathing and from time to time I look at my stats on the treadmill to challenge myself but other than that I try to keep my mind clear.


Q: Do you run with music? If so, do you have a favourite song or playlist?
A:
I do run with music. I have found that old cheesy 80s and 90s songs have been really good at helping me get through my runs. I'm talking songs like The Sign by the Ace of Base, MMMBop by Hanson, Old Time Rock and Roll by Graham Blvd., Mickey by Toni Basil, Heaven Is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle and Girls Just Want to Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. I have felt like flying on the treadmill running to some of these songs. Kinda embarrassing but no shame here! {insert smiley face!}


Q: Any tips for starters?
A:
For me having a workout partner really helps, especially on days when I feel lazy. Also, breathing. For a long time I used to hold my breath while running. Now I concentrate on inhaling and exhaling and my lungs have been thanking me. I've learned to let out of huff, puff and a grunt now and then. I think in the past I was too shy or embarrassed to let out any sound, but I do now. It's a sign that I'm pumped and I'm still pushing to finish my run. And it feels good to let out a sound! Finally, water. I drink throughout my runs because it keeps me hydrated and also helps keep my lungs from feeling like they are burning.

Thanks so much everyone for reading along. I hope it's been helpful. And thanks OtherMix for having me here! It was great to finally be comfortable enough to talk about my reasons for running and to share my start in getting to be at that healthy place in my life. Here's to healthy runs!

Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed this interview with the lovely Jane Yoo! Questions by me, unedited answers by Jane, photo's are from Jane too. I hope this is a good motivator, it's weekend, so get out there and run!


Would you like to be interviewed next? You can sign up here!


You can find all the Running High's here.

27 comments:

  1. This was great. I am not a runner, I wish I was, but I rather just walk a long way. But, it is good for the body.This was lovely post by Jane!! Happy Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kizzy, thank you for your comment!

    Perhaps you should give it a try for a couple of weeks, you'll see how quickly you progress and within a few months you can run 5K! :]

    Happy Easter to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hey, Jane! Loved this Q+A! And now I'm so inspired by you! I HATE running. I used to run cross-country in high school and our P.E. program was intense - we'd have to participate in a community run and/or biathalon each year. I try to stay away from running nowadays and stick with yoga, but you've really inspired me to start jogging at least - I do need an exercise that really gets my heart pumping! And I'm so with you about the sweat thing - if I'm not full blown sweating my butt off at the end of a work-out, it doesn't feel as accomplishing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica! Running is a great way to exercise! Make sure you start gradually to avoid injuries. Happy running (and happy easter!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rowena, I hope your ankle will be 100% soon! :] Take a good rest and start out slow :] (p.s. Happy Easter too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a fun read, this series was such a good idea! Haha Jane's the opposite of me when it comes to some of these things - I hate the feeling of sweat and I try and fill my head with all sorts of thoughts to distract me from the burn!

    P.S. I'm working on my one even as I type this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! :) Ik wil ook graag veel meer rennen (doe dat nu bijna nooit :$ ik doe meer aan springtouwen/workouts/dance etc. mr rennen staat zeker op mn to do list! Heb al een groepje ^gevormd ^^ dus dat helpt zeker!)
    reply: ik weet niet waar dat precies in NL is ;P stond erbij (op die website). Ik denk misschien de Veluwe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dewi! haha :p Naja, nu wel goed weer om te starten toch?

    Wil je nog mee doen met de series? Running High

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! :D
    It's always nice to see what motivates others, and to see if you can adapt some of it to work for you! :]


    Awesome! Can't wait to see it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was great! I love Jane! I know what she means by sweating. It does make you feel good though. I'm a walker. I love walking to 80's and 90's songs and also (Rocky Music HAHAHA). I walk to lose weight.

    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've learnt something new about you Jane, didn't realise you were such a keen runner! I keep my mind anything but blank, but it's still a release.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so great to read, as someone who started running this year. can't wait for the rest of the series! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would you like to join too? You can sign up here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I am not a native English speaker, what exactly do you mean by "a release" in this case? :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh I admire Jane :c I hate running never liked it because
    well, I'm slow and second I run out of breath really quick.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you so much for having me again! looking forward to your series!

    ReplyDelete
  17. and i enjoyed reading everyone's comments and thoughts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you too Jane, thanks for joining me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. You should give it a go, within weeks you'll see you can do so much more! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A release and it to release something, and it this case the stresses of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1: I love Jane; I consider her a blogging friend, and I wish she was my neighbor! 2: Being a runner, I love this post! 3: It's nice to meet you! -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  22. I understand now, thanks!

    Would you like to be interviewed as well? I have a hunch that otherwise I will have only girls interviewed!
    I checked out your blog and the running posts, looks cool! :]

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jess! Jane gave me your blog link when I asked her for an interview. I checked out your blog right away, I think it's great you did a half marathon and that you are training for nr 2! Would you like to be interviewed as well? Would love to hear about your story and runs! :]

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Matthew, awesome! :D
    A few questions I have to ask you;
    - Do you run indoors/outdoors?
    - How many KM?


    And on which email address can I contact you? Give me a couple of days to come up with a Q&A which should be interesting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sure. You can email me so I can get more details about what you need. I would need a long timeline though, if possible!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jessica, awesome! You can take your time, I already found someone for next month, so don't feel rushed. Can I email you at the email adres you use for Disqus? Or would you like to email me when you are ready?

    ReplyDelete