instagram vimeo youtube pinterest bloglovin

06/03/2014

Vanda Orchid - Smile - Floral Friday

And here is yet another story behind. I had a few idea's for this theme, but I couldn't really do them. Luckily I stumbled across this, a Vanda Orchid / Wild Cherry Orchid. You see how it smiles? I thought, if I could find the flower and borrow my mom's camera + macro lens; Kaching! 

However, finding one was difficult, none of the floral shops nearby had that particular one. But, I was desperate too get it. After all, it would be quite a nice thing. Or so I thought.

After some more Googling and few hours later I decided to go get one online. I spent € 30,- for it. I found a "Ascocenda Crown Fox X Red Gem" in the Vanda section of an orchid shop. You see however, that this flower does not really have a smiley face. It looks more like an alien face to me. Or perhaps that's just because I spent around two afternoons to get an interesting shot of it. I tried to photoshop the smiley face in but too me it looked too photoshopped so I gave that up too.

Flowers are an interesting object to photograph. It's not easy, especially up close, you still have to look for a pleasing shot, one that's sharp, has nice lines, and not just "hey, here is a flower really up close", which was much like my first shots. Thanks to my mom though with some good advice, I got this shot and a few others or another orchid we had at home. I think I can use it for an upcoming Floral Friday!

Once again, I hope you like it. Tell me about your Floral Friday!

Click here for all my Floral Friday's!

"Floral Fridays is a monthly photography project with different themes each month. This series is about fun and taking time out to smell the flowers. To play along, please email Trishie (trishie@underlockandkeyblog.com) for next month's theme." 


20 comments:

  1. I think that is a brilliant shot. And I appreciate all the efforts you went through for this post! Hearing the story behind it made ME smile :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this flower is so so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love his little face, almost looks like a bird to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shot! The face reminds me of a bird!
    En dat je daar €30 aan hebt uitgegeven joh! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a brilliant idea for a flower for this month! i see it totally smiling! i see it on yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you interpreted this month's theme! Floral macros can be a tad tricky but you did a good job :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that when photographing orchids up close.. you completely enter a new world... sometimes I see a mask! so I can see where you might think of a smile..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment Mu-Hsien, have a good weekend! :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, have a good weekend! :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow the detail in this shot is amazing! those tiny little water droplets look like little jewels. I just purchased a new orchid for my desk. white with purple tips and magenta and yellow centre. one of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Carolyn, have a nice weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Rigel, I bet your orchid is very nice as well! :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love flowers so much, so i appreciate your enthusiasm for them as well. unfortunately i have a black thumb and two cats, otherwise i would buy fresh flowers on a regular basis.

    rae of lovefromberlin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen these before, the smiles are a bit unnerving actually haha. Flowers are definitely good models!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could try orchids, they are quite easy actually. You only have to spray some water on the roots twice a week. No more, they can rot. Direct sunlight is fine, unless it's summertime, then it gets too hot. The first orchid I used from my floral is only now going bad, so that's pretty long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you think about it, it could be one of those "soon...." faces ;]

    ReplyDelete